What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GDL-B Portable ADS-B?

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Garmin GDL-B Portable ADS-B ???

Does this work well? Will it display on my Garmin 796?
Will it work at mountain valley airports? Like Schafer Meadows, Montana, or Johnson Creek, Idaho?
I have a Garmin 796 hand held, with Sirius XM pro weather. Happy with the service and how it works.
Wondering how these systems compare verse cost? Anyone have real knowledge?

Maybe another question? Is there a non subscription weather solution that uses the Garmin 796?
Thanks

Last edited:
Jay, I can't speak to the mountain areas - it would require identifying the ADSB ground station locations and calculating radiation coverage for the signal.

As for the GDL-39 and an Aera 79x, I love the setup (I have a panel mounted 795 hard wired to the GDL-39 and my backup is Bluetooth to an iOS device).

Here is the flatlands of the East coast, and on my trip to Tulsa, I have current weather the whole trip even when I was at 1500ft AGL for extended periods.

I really like that the Aera 79x caches the weather as it come is allowing you to play a loop. This helps evaluate how quickly weather is moving.

Works great

Jay, I recently installed at GDL-39R and connected it to a 795, it works great. Before I got the 795, I had a 696 with XM weather. I switched to the 795 at the same time that I installed the GDL.

I used the -39R with the ADSB IN antenna mounted on the belly. I also purchased the optional cable to hardwire in Power and for the interconnect to 795 (rather then using Bluetooth).

Both the traffic and weather work flawlessly.

P.S. I used the -39R because it was designed to be connected to an external antenna, which avoided using an adapter.

Nope

Jay,

The GDL-39 talks to a 796. It won't do you a bit of good, though, in the back country for wx and next to useless for traffic. Last I saw of the FAA's build-out plan for ADS-B implementation, i.e., ground stations, ID and MT, were last to be completed and then only in major terminal areas. Subscription based XM wx will remain best where we tote guns and eat animals.

"Two Buck Chuck"
Boise

Im out in Tennessee, in the far south-east corner. I have a GDL-39 that I use with my Android tablet and Garmin Pilot. I love it. I start receiving weather at before I have even left the pattern.

I do get traffic on there, but its mostly high-flying airliners that are way above me, but when I do fly around KCHA and KTYS its cool to be able to visualize the guys I am hearing on the radio in the controlled airpsace.

I bought my GDL-39 from a guy in the VAF classifieds, and then picked up the external battery for it (since only one of my flight schools 172's has a 12v outlet). Been very happy with it. I usually just turn it on, lay it in the back seat of the 172 and by the time I climb in the seat my Android has connected to it, and the GPS has locked on to the satellites.

I have a GDL-39 (with battery) and Aera 796 installed in my RV-3, hardwired together. The GDL-39 is remotely mounted in the baggage compartment and the 796 on the panel. I disconnected the hardwire, and surprisingly (to me) the bluetooth connection between the two worked just fine, although separated by the seat back, cushion and pilot.

Jay,

The GDL-39 talks to a 796. It won't do you a bit of good, though, in the back country for wx and next to useless for traffic. Last I saw of the FAA's build-out plan for ADS-B implementation, i.e., ground stations, ID and MT, were last to be completed and then only in major terminal areas. Subscription based XM wx will remain best where we tote guns and eat animals.

"Two Buck Chuck"
Boise

John,

That is what I needed to know! Will up the XM weather subscription next month.
Really appreciate the info from everyone, that responded.

Thanks a lot

Here is a ADS-B coverage map I stole from ForeFlight's website:

http://www.foreflight.com/static/img/stratus/stratus-coverage.png

stratus-coverage.png

Hope that helps.

Back