What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FI Servo Supply Hose

Capflyer

Well Known Member
Looking for some help identifying which fuel hose Vans sells that connects the fuel spider through the lower baffle between 1&3, and then connects to the FI horiz mounted servo. It has -4 AN fittings on each end and is approximately 20" long and probably fire sleeved.

Mike,
I don't believe Van's has much available for #4 hose assemblies.
You are a lot closer to Tom anyway and he will make the exact length you need.
TS Flightlines.

Vans doesn't sell it. It should have come with the engine or the FI kit or you will want to have one made up.

Mike,

Do you have any pics showing the hardline?

I am looking at doing this but don't have any good places to secure with adels.

The nearest bolts are sump bolts and are vertical.....

Do you think it would be OK to put make an "S" turn so I'll have a horizontal section to secure with a clamp?

Glenn Wilkinson

Mike,

Do you have any pics showing the hardline?

I am looking at doing this but don't have any good places to secure with adels.

The nearest bolts are sump bolts and are vertical.....

Do you think it would be OK to put make an "S" turn so I'll have a horizontal section to secure with a clamp?

Glenn Wilkinson

Pictures will take a bit of effort, but I might be able to describe my setup:

Forward facing servo with the fuel outlet pointing up toward case; straight AN fitting on the servo so line exits, makes a 90 toward the left wing following the oil pan rail, then another 90 to the tail still picking up the oil pan rail bolts, then another 90 "up" between the cylinders at the provided baffle cutout. I made a new baffle cover plate with a bracket and an adel here. Probably overkill but I wanted to make sure there was no baffle to line contact. As the line exits the top of the engine there are a few bends needed to attach the flow divider, and the pushrod tube happens to provide a convenient location for another adel.

Not sure what you mean by needing a bend to make a horizontal section- remember, a simple 90 degree bracket changes the orientation of the adel, so if you can't pick up case bolts, then a bracket almost always works. You definitely want a bend or two in the line simply to deal with expansion/contraction issues (general practice), but not so much that you create unsupported length. So yes, an "s" bend can work as long as it's not overdone. Clear as mud? ;)

What do you need?

CapFlyer/Mike

Size length, or just part number? I have the factory new IO360 M1B hanging on the hook now and will have to remove this hose and send for modification to fit the red cube.

I can get the dimensional information if that is what you need. I suspect it is a Lycoming part - is that number on the hose tag? Just let me know.

Thank you for the responses. I was hoping that it would be a simple ID of a pre-made hose that Vans sells but apparently not. I'm leary of using a hard line in this area because of vibration and being next to the hottest parts of the engine on its run between the cylinders. I think I'll just have one made locally at a place that speciallizes in hydraulic hoses plus they can pressure test it.

Thank you for the responses. I was hoping that it would be a simple ID of a pre-made hose that Vans sells but apparently not. I'm leary of using a hard line in this area because of vibration and being next to the hottest parts of the engine on its run between the cylinders. I think I'll just have one made locally at a place that speciallizes in hydraulic hoses plus they can pressure test it.

Whatever you decide to do is up to you, but don't cite better heat resistance as a "plus" for hose. You're not going to do better than stainless hard line in that department. As for vibration, well, "standard aviation practices" are there for a reason. Follow them, and you'll have no issues.

FYI - Be sure you use hose made for aviation. Static electricity can build quickly in insulated hoses and will perforate the hose and make it weep. Right over the exhaust system. Aviation hose has a conductivity requirement for this reason.

A 3/8" id hose can build as much as 30,000 volts in a few inches.

IF you are going to use teflon, definately use a conductive liner. Most industrial shops that make teflon hoses use a non-conductive liner (white). Be advised!
Tom

The shop I use sells Parker hoses and fittings, some of which are aerospace products. I'll double check to be sure they have the correct hose for the fuel line. Thanks for the heads up. It's a pretty cool place to go into....kinda a candy store for hoses and fittings. You can find just about anything there.

Yep they do have some neat things. Tell them you want 919B hose and you'll be just fine----they may or may not have 124. Steel hose ends are perfectly acceptable for our applications. Oh----and be sure to firesleeve the hose!
Tom

Back