What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How come no one makes a remote black box?

MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I have an RV-8. I love a lot of the new avionics, but I keep thinking the manufacturers need to do a remote display design.

Put the brains in the tail somewhere (or under the seat) and have a remote display that is only an inch thick or so.

A design like that would even allow me to consider some avionics for the GIB.

Just wondering.

bruce
RV-8 Flying

I think AFS is working on something like that... think they're targeting back seat of -8

I kinda' thought that was what my GRT EFIS was. It's got a 2 inch thick display unit that is wired to a remote AHRS and a remote magnetometer. The Blue Mountain system is similar.

Is that what you mean or are you thinking the com/nav?

Jekyll

Terra.....

Terra actually did this and had displays at Oshkosh of their mini radios with remote heads. They just built the first 1/2 inch of the radio as a remote panel to be mounted on the dash, or wherever... If I remember correctly, the connecting cable length could be pretty long (10+ feet)

But the Trimble buy out and subsequent disastrous move of the assembly plant did them in.... :(

gil in Tucson ... thought at the time that the remote head would be good for a sailplane

Last edited:
It sounded to me like the remote display for the AFS was for the second display only. The first was still the combined unit.

The BlueMountain EFIS/1 G3 and before does have a remote CPU/air data computer with a panel-only mounted display. However, I thought that with the G4 gear the E/1 was changing over to the same cylindrical CPU module that the Lites use. If this is true it looks like the only difference between the EFIS/1 and the Lite / Sports is going to be screen size and some software enhancements.

-Rick

Back