What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Fairings

Dash3B

I'm New Here
Randy - I have been studying your photos regarding the installation of Van's fiberglass gear leg fairings. What is the attach mechanism to the gear leg? It almost appears that they are to be held in place by the upper and lower intersection fairings and nutplates - with the gear leg "floating" inside. The plans indicate some rather flakey looking springs and clamping strap solutions.

I plan on using the stock single piece wheel pants. Do you think the RV-7 U-719 lower intersectionals could be modified to attach to them?

Thank you for your excellent site and especially for your willingness to share your expereince and knowledge with others.

Dash3B said:
Randy - I have been studying your photos regarding the installation of Van's fiberglass gear leg fairings. What is the attach mechanism to the gear leg? It almost appears that they are to be held in place by the upper and lower intersection fairings and nutplates - with the gear leg "floating" inside. The plans indicate some rather flakey looking springs and clamping strap solutions.

I plan on using the stock single piece wheel pants. Do you think the RV-7 U-719 lower intersectionals could be modified to attach to them?
Yes, they are positioned by the upper & lower intersection fairings but there is a screw in the lower fairing that goes all the way through the gear leg fairing, otherwise it would slide down inside. Call me an outlaw, but I just didn't like the method specified in the plans with the hose clamps.
Also, be aware that the gear leg fairing needs to be able to move up and down the gear leg as the legs flex. I will put UHMW tape inside the upper cuff to allow for that movement.

Lastly, the newer pressure recovery pants are known to be faster than the older one piece pants. I'd upgrade if I were you, just buy the new pants and mounts, should bolt right up. Then of course the U-719 lower fairings will work. Personally, I think the the pr pants are better looking too. Here's a pic of what the inner mounting bracket looks like...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/Airframe/DSC_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and nice photo. I agree, the upgrade is worthwhile. The stock pant mounting bracket is also woefully under engineered. Speaking of that bracket - Van's catalog says the PR pants kit includes all mounting hardware. Does that include the sheet metal mounting bracket in the photo?

Also, the braided brake line hose in the photo - automotive? Motorcycle? A photo of the gear leg top end transition would be nice.

Many thanks!

Dash3B said:
Thanks for the advice and nice photo. I agree, the upgrade is worthwhile. The stock pant mounting bracket is also woefully under engineered. Speaking of that bracket - Van's catalog says the PR pants kit includes all mounting hardware. Does that include the sheet metal mounting bracket in the photo?

Also, the braided brake line hose in the photo - automotive? Motorcycle? A photo of the gear leg top end transition would be nice.

Many thanks!
If you buy the PR pants as a standalone I have no idea if they come with brackets or not, my guess would be that they do not, but a phone call to Van's would answer that. The standard brackets work for many but there are stainless steel alternatives available. I'll give the standard brackets a try and go to the ss if needed.

The brake line goes up the back of the gear leg then continues straight up the firewall for a few inches before going into a 90 degree bulkhead fitting... not easy to photograph but I'll try. Oh, the lines themselves are from Columbia Airmotive and are assembled from XRP parts that they carry, easy to do. Here's the company (www.xrp.com), but there are several suppliers for this sort of thing including Earls and Summit Racing. Be sure and use AN3 instead of AN4.

Last edited:
randylervold said:
If you buy the PR pants as a standalone I have no idea if they come with brackets or not, my guess would be that they do not, but a phone call to Van's would answer that. The standard brackets work for many but there are stainless steel alternatives available. I'll give the standard brackets a try and go to the ss if needed.

The left & right PR wheelpants for $260.00, do come with the brackets. I just bought a set for the 6A. I'm keeping the original 2-piece nose pant for now.

Back