What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another 9A flies

Build9A

Well Known Member
N489JE departed GNV (Gainesville, FL) at 7:51am EST today. To be honest I was nervous, even had trouble remembering to go thru my pre-flight checklist. Conditions were clear sky, 10m visibility and winds from 280 at 6kts. I requested runway 29, 7500 ft. long. On departure I used maybe 450 ft. of the runway, maybe less. The RV9A climbed out at about 1000 fpm, I think. I was concentrating on airspeed, tach, temp., altitude and other stuff and didn?t really make note of the VSI other than it was climbing. I started with 110 mph climb and also tried 100 mph. When I reached 3500 feet altitude, I switched from the tower to 122.75 so I could talk to my ground crew (my wife) who was recording information as I called it out. I figured she could feel more involved and I wouldn?t have to write, fly and balance paperwork on my lap. Here?s my numbers from the 1st flight: RPM 2350, IAS 142 mph, CHT (#3) 355, oil temp 180, oil pressure 70, fuel pressure 3.0. I did some 360s, slow flight with about ? flaps at 80 mph, leveled off and then remembered to look outside the aircraft. I mention this boneheaded statement for those of you who follow me. Don?t get so caught up with keeping track of all the gauges that you forget basic flying technique and safety. No airplanes in the area were a factor, BUT I didn?t really know that. As I went back to the tower and descended I quit fixating on the gauges, and enjoyed the scenery and flying this wonderful airplane that I built. In fact, the emotion associated with such an accomplishment is just now hitting me as I write this report. As those before me have stated, keep pounding those rivets, it is really worth it. Jack #90508 lyc 0-320, Sensenich fixed pitch prop. (40min. of flight time.)
P.S. I was determined that I was not going to report ?slightly heavy left wing? like so many others, but I must be honest, it was. Oh, yeah the landing was a piece of cake.

"Niner-one-six-kilo, what are you doing???"

Cogratulations,

I know how you feel about being nervous. I did my first flight three weeks ago and was so nervous most of what the tower said went in one ear and out the other. We have parallel runways and I took off on left but was told to make a right pattern, I didn't. Of course my friends where on the ground listening when the tower said " Niner-one-six-kilo, what are you doing???" Now I have 28 hours and I catch most of what they say now :)

Cam

Let me be the first to "congratulate" you!!! I can't believe we all spelled it wrong!!! Anyway, I'm sure you got our meaning.

Roberta

Congratulations on first flight

Jack,
Well done! Pat yourself on the back because you deserve it. And, now you are an inspiration for other builders.

Congratulations Again. Looking foward to your Visit. Gerry Chancey, RV 9, N92GC

Spelling vs. excitement...

Roberta,

I must admit that I too have typo'ed some words when I have been excited about posting on my web site when I get a construction "milestone" behind me on my RV-9A project. I found myself sharing the excitement of the two above first-flight reports as my day gets closer. At least I will be at a non-towered airport and will just have to remember to make my radio calls to "Collegedale traffic".

Wing tips and fairings occupy my time in the garage right now.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
www.n2prise.org

I Know the feeling. Our minds are racing way faster than our body parts, sometimes. Oh Well!! It's the excitement of our RV's

Back