What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DuPont Veri-Prime, where to buy in Canada

NorthernRV4

Well Known Member
Hey guys

Does anyone have a source for Veri-Prime 615/615S in Canada? My local DuPont dealer tells me that this is no longer available because of new Canadian VOC regulations. I did get one spray can of A-4115S self etching primer which is supposed to be the aerosol version of Veri-Prime 22880S (supposed to have replaced 615S) but the finish is very different from a local builders VP 615 finish. Both color and texture are different, it's darker green and has a finish like 600 grit sandpaper (maybe finer, but certainly not smooth). Looking for some 615.

Hey RV4 guy
I looked for the same primer here in Southern Ont 4 years ago and was told it was no longer sold. I ended up using Nason epoxy primer bought from NAPA (Ideal Supply). This primer is easy to use, and seals completely as the self etching primers do not seal the metal surface unless they're top coated with something else (this from a buddy who is in the auto refinishing business).

I know this isn't what you're asking, just an alternative that I think works very well.
Regards, Rick
Southampton, Ont

615S Variprime

Variprime does not "seal" the metal, but it does provide excellent adhesion and corrosion resistance in much the same way as zinc chromate provides corrosion protection. I believe it is still available here in the U.S. and perhaps could be mail ordered.

Yes, I've heard VP doesn't seal the metal from an auto body standpoint but provides corrosion protection for our use. The RV I'm comparing to has a flawless finish using VP but this stuff I used is completely different. I may look at mail ordering a quart of 615. Any idea what the best online source is?

one other point, do you rough up Alclad with maroon scotchbrite pads before priming? I did for some parts just as part of the deburring process but I suspect I'm wasting my time.

Last edited:
I have yet to find a primer in a spray can that will resist 100LL. Most will just wipe right off with a rag that is damp with 100LL. There are some parts of the plane that need to be primed. Go to your nearest automotive paint store and use the two part epoxy primer that they recommend for aluminum. Personally I use a RM product, from Car Quest, it is tough as nails. If the dealer does not seem to know what he is doing then go to another shop. Tell them you are a rookie and what you want to do. A good paint shop is invaluable.
If you live near the coast the proper selection of primer is important. If you do not live near salt water and your plane is kept in a hanger it likely does not matter what you use, or even if you use anything at all.

Back