What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to go with Valkyrie this weekend?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I was not expecting to have the upcoming three-day weekend off, but due to the vagaries of lightning strikes and tropical systems, I now have a weekend with no plans. I'm looking for a place within 500 miles of Houston where I can fly in, pop the canopy and pitch a tent, right on the field. I know I'm dreaming if I think I can get into any "popular" spots on Labor Day weekend without reservations in advance, but maybe someone knows of a desolate, out of the way spot...and by the way, I consider those Good attributes!

I didn't find much on Adventurepilot.com - interesting site, but most of the hits I got were airports within a couple miles of camping spots.....

Any leads appreciated!

Something to do Labor Day Weekend

Try the Big Bend area in West Texas. Big Bend Ranch run by Texas Parks and Wildlife. Haven't been there but I hear there is a landing strip.

Have a look at Petit Jean State Park Airport in Arkansas. Might be juuuust outside your 500 mile radius; didn't have time to check. There are paved taxi-in campsites at the "lake end" of the runway:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMPJ

There's lots of "official" information about the park which I couldn't get to because all of the state of Arkansas' servers appear to be down right now (despite the fact that Bill's friend Al invented the Internet).

Here's some information I came up with on this page, though: http://www.outdoorcentral.com/mc/pr/03/HD/0516ARK.asp

"A fly-in campground at the nearby Petit Jean Airport features five campsites with water and electric hookups, picnic tables, grills, lantern holders and tent pads. Each campsite, including one barrier-free site, rents for $18 per day. The campground, which overlooks the 170-acre Lake Bailey, also features a modern bathhouse with hot showers. Shuttle service to the park is available for a fee. Parking is available for five planes, and additional parking is available adjacent to the airport hangers. Fuel is available at the Petit Jean Airport, which is open to daytime flying only. To reserve a fly-in campsite, contact Morrilton Aviation, Inc., at 1-800-344-5907."

Last edited:
Dude Ranch?

Paul,

Not really camping and more of a ?chick? place :rolleyes: , but my girlfriend found this place and is anxious for me to finish my plane so I can fly her here?

www.cibolocreekranch.com/index.htm

They have a private strip.

Or, you might check out Terlingua Ranch, just north of Big Bend.

Scott Harding
-9 Wings
Sugar Land, TX

Reelfoot Lake

Paul,
You might consider Reelfoot Lake State Park airport,

http://www.airnav.com/airport/0M2

Mileage shows to be 480nm from Nassau Bay but hey! What's that in an RV-8?

You did say desolate, but I understand tent camping is popular. You might call ahead to make sure though. If you make it to Petit Jean, KMPJ, in Arkansas, you could just pop over to Reelfoot Lake.

Looking forward to a quick report on your weekend adventures!

Best Wishes,

Don Hull

Thanks - Great Ideas!

Thanks for the inputs guys - good places to add to my list. Petit Jean looks like a nice destination with some trees, and Big Bend Ranch looks like a great place when I absolutely, positively don't want to be bothered by anyone!

Now it looks like I'll probably end up working Monday anyway, in order to get to an Atlantis launch attempt on Wednesday, but hey, the fall is coming, and these places have to be investigated....

Paul

Gastons Resort

How about Gastons Resort? It is right on the White River in North Arkansas. www.gastons.com I think. That way I could drive over and see your plane and drive you nutts. :D

Terlingua ranch

I don't know of an airstrip at Big Bend. There is one south of there at LaJitas, but there is no camping that I know of, and rooms are $300 at the resort.

Terlingua Ranch is OK if you like rustic (as in a dump), but having landed my 185 there, the strip is pretty rough and not maintained, and I would never land my RV8 there. The cabins there have 2" high lime green shag carpet (so, if you are old enough, you know how old the rug is). There is a little camp ground.

There is a strip in Terlingua ghost town too, but I haven't landed there in 10 years...it was OK then.

Mostly this is an area for cubs and skywagons, not 500x5 tires with wheelpants.

Good luck!

Nuisance said:
I don't know of an airstrip at Big Bend. There is one south of there at LaJitas, but there is no camping that I know of, and rooms are $300 at the resort.

I looked at the sectional today and noticed the LaJitas airport is exed out. When I was there two or three years ago it was fancy with bizjets and landing fees and all. Wrote it up on my web site

Terlingua Ranch is OK if you like rustic (as in a dump), but having landed my 185 there, the strip is pretty rough and not maintained, and I would never land my RV8 there.

I landed my RV-6 there a couple of years ago. It was right after a period of wet weather and the strip was washed out somewhere near the middle. I had to pick the smoothest part to land on. It went fine, but is probably on the iffy side. My airplane has the pressure recovery pants.

There is a strip in Terlingua ghost town too, but I haven't landed there in 10 years...it was OK then.

Mostly this is an area for cubs and skywagons, not 500x5 tires with wheelpants.

Good luck!

It is such a fantastic area I wish I could find a better way to visit it by air.

Back