What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Danger Laptop use in cockpit (Pls don't delete)

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Danger - Laptop use in cockpit (Pls don't delete)

There are a lot of RV'ers who use laptops and notepad computers in their plane, both airborne and ground. Can you imagingr you plane and hanger burning to the ground. There is a real chance it can happen if you have one of the batteries listed in a huge RECALL. Portable computer batteries explode and burn furiously due to a defect (Lithium ion).

I posted this a few weeks ago and it went away somehow? :rolleyes:

Please Google the info, originally for Dell units only, the batteries are made by Sony. I am sure there are other computer brands that may be affect.

The pictures I have seen of trucks and offices, where the computer just burst into flames, are scary. In some cases the computer was off and just sitting there.

I put a laptop in my passenger seat all the time and leave it unmonitored while it up loads software. I'll not do that again. Just be careful.

Some Airlines are moving to ban laptops for this fire hazard alone, beyond basic security threats. It's are real Hazard to aviation safety if you use a laptop/notebook computer with the affected batteries.

Last edited:
A few things...

1. Yes it's select SONY batteries ... Lithium ion only
2. The batteries DO NOT burn without
a. being pluged into a non standard power supply (causing over charging)
b. computer MUST be on
c. battery has some physical damage (causing a break in the over-heating protection circuit)
3. They do not explode ... but do burn VERY HOT

I would consider twice before using any Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) or Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) based batteries in my plane. However they have advantages and correctly used they are excellent small power source for devices such laptop.

Just curious, what kind of backup batteries EFISes has? Anyone know?

Thanks for the update

n468ac said:
A few things...
a. being plugged into a non standard power supply (causing over charging)
b. computer MUST be on
c. battery has some physical damage (causing a break in the over-heating protection circuit)
3. They do not explode ... but do burn VERY HOT
I appreciate your input, thanks. I would take some exception to item b. & c.

The recall states that the batteries have a manufacture defect, which does not protect from overcharge.

One computer was reported OFF and sitting on the floor of a parked truck before the fire destroyed the vehicle. I don't know if it was connected to ships power?

The recall will cost $170 mil Sony, so it's more than a few computers

It affects at least Dell (4 mil), Apple (1.8 mil) and HP (?) computers and may be others (Sony?).

There have been no deaths but the fire is intense and there has been loss of property. Anyway be careful. I have one in my Dell and the number is 866-342-0011.

Last edited:
n468ac said:
A few things...

1. Yes it's select SONY batteries ... Lithium ion only
2. The batteries DO NOT burn without
a. being pluged into a non standard power supply (causing over charging)
b. computer MUST be on

Actually as a former Powerbooks low level software person who worked quite a bit with various batteries:

A and B are definitely untrue.

* Modern battery packs are smart and control their charging by the microcontroller in the battery negotiating with the PMU in the laptop or charger. The failures that have been noted on modern Macs and Dells are not related to using a non standard supply.

* Some internal LiIon pack failures do not require the computer to be on.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/08/29/japan.apple.ap/index.html

Quote from an article on cnn.com
"Battery packs contain cells of rolled up metal strips. Sony has said that during production, crimping the rolls left tiny shards of metal loose in the cells, and some of those shards can cause batteries to short-circuit, or in extreme cases, catch fire."

This tells me that the battery does not even need to be inserted into the laptop. If vibration causes these shards to short out the cell, the battery WILL smoke.

Probably nothing

lrfrey said:
OK... so what about the LI battery in my ICOM A6 handheld...

Larry
If it is not subject to the recall (which I doubt it is) than you do nothing. However batteries of any kind, make, model, shape and size can be a hazard if rolling around in your flight bag. Just treat them with respect, because they can be a source of ignition. Follow the safety recommendations that came with it, like don't leave it in a hot plane or car to name one. Also inspect it and discontinue use if there is any physical damage.

The Lithium Ion battery in my old smartphone (Kyocera 7135) was recalled for the same reason.

They cited "rapid separation of components"! Sounds to me like they meant BLOW UP!

:D CJ

I remember the paper article about the exploding cell phones. It showed a picture of some kid with the front pocket of his jeans burned out, and he suffered 2nd degree burns on his leg.
My Mac laptop is not part of the recall, but it sure does get hot cruising the forums with it on my lap...

gmcjetpilot said:
I appreciate your input, thanks. I would take some exception to item b. & c.

The recall states that the batteries have a manufacture defect, which does not protect from overcharge.

One computer was reported OFF and sitting on the floor of a parked truck before the fire destroyed the vehicle. I don't know if it was connected to ships power?

The recall will cost $170 mil Sony, so it's more than a few computers

It affects at least Dell (4 mil), Apple (1.8 mil) and HP (?) computers and may be others (Sony?).

There have been no deaths but the fire is intense and there has been loss of property. Anyway be careful. I have one in my Dell and the number is 866-342-0011.

:) We can disagree
This is the third Sony battery recall for DELL ... looks really bad for Sony.

I would be far more concerned about the laptop becoming a projectile in turbulence than I would be about spontaneous battery combustion. We are securing those bad boys aren't we?

Just a computer nerd's opinion.

Back