What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Riveted Trailing Edges

BryanArd

Hello all, I'm new to the forums, but I've been RV crazy since I was a kid! I have helped build several RV's, and now I am building my own -4. I was wondering if there is any info on riveted trailing edges, like on the newer RV's. I have already built my rudder and elevators with the double flush rivets. It adds about 1/2" to the chord line of the control surface. I just hope there are no problems in flight (slightly more surface area).

Hopefully this will prevent cracking skin on the stiffeners--it is light, very straight, and does not flex.

I have heard of this being done, so any info would be great!
Thanks, Bryan

Bruce, converting to riveted trailing edges as you have done should work fine and I doubt the extra half inch will have any effect, but you will almost certainly get increased stick forces on those controls you've converted. The general rule is that the more blunt the trailing edge the lighter the control force (look at any modern aerobatic ship such as an Extra) and the finer the trailing edge the greater the force. Since you've converted the rudder and elevators and not the ailerons it could upset the nice "control harmony" RV-4's are known for. No worries though, if you don't like it just buy the parts and build another set, that's one of the benefits of having an RV with the parts so accessable.

Dave Anders has double flush-riveted trailing edges on the empennage of his RV-4. I have not heard any comments about handling changes yet. Next time I see him I will ask.

Hey Randy, I go by Bryan, but you can call me Bruce! Just kidding. Thanks for the reply. I have a friend who has a -4 with an o-320 and a light wood prop. When both of us are in it, the elevator can be a little too light, due to the aft cg. I was thinking the slightly higher stick force might be a good thing in that situation. But, you're right---if I don't like it, I'll just build new ones. I don't want to do the ailerons, because I will have to do the flaps and wingtip to match!

Mikey, if you talk to Dave, please let me know if it changes anything. Thanks

Back