What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB

Norman CYYJ

Well Known Member
I am toying with the idea of getting a portable adsb receiver to use with my iPad.
I would prefer not to have to be married to one piece of software. What receivers and weather map software are you guys using that you are happy with?

I am toying with the idea of getting a portable adsb receiver to use with my iPad.
I would prefer not to have to be married to one piece of software. What receivers and weather map software are you guys using that you are happy with?

Here is a list of what is compatible to what software. Click on the image to get the table large enough to read it.

I like ForeFlight and am using Stratus 2 with it. I am locked to ForeFlight with Stratus so am "married" to that one piece of software. I am happy with ForeFlight and do not wish to keep learning / trying new software so did not mind being married to the software / hardware combination.

Unfortunately you will be stuck with the software once you pick which unit you want. Stratus and ForeFlight only work with each other. Neither supports alternatives for the other half of the system. There's a rumor about Dual support for Foreflight, but I'm not sure when that will happen. The same applies to Garmin Pilot and the GDL39 combination.

WingX Pro supports the largest number of receivers, but once you pick one of those, you'll probably have to stay with WingX Pro to keep using it. I happen to like WingXPro the best of the three most popular apps, so when I decide to pull the trigger, I'll get a receiver supported by WingX.

In any case, even though the receiver is the most expensive part of the package, the software is what you really use all the time. I'd probably pick the software I liked best and buy a receiver supported by it. At this time, I'd also prefer a receiver with AHRS built in to enable backup gyroscopic instruments on my iPad.

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping for just a generic software that just showed a map and my location. I have used both foreflight and wingx and both are good, I don't want to be married to them.

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping for just a generic software that just showed a map and my location. I have used both foreflight and wingx and both are good, I don't want to be married to them.

Consider it a long engagement.

I've been watching the Levil Technologies products (iLevil AW) (http://www.aviation.levil.com/iLevil.htm) but haven't made a purchase yet. I'm using Air Navigation Pro, it's the best bang-for-the-buck that i've found for Canada. Foreflight has official Canadian charts now, but at stupid prices.

Back