What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another dumb question from a newbie....

txaviator

Well Known Member
Hello Everyone,

I have often wondered: Why don't the majority of the builders I have seen (in person and planes in photos) ever 'finish out' the sides of the cockpit (interior), in the area that the pilot and passenger sit in? In other words, every RV I have seen has painted metal (fuselage skin) showing on the interior. Is it a weight thing, or ???? Seems like a simple, light side panel could be constructed to 'jazz-up' the interior a little bit on the sides and even the floor? Thanks for responses to this dumb question.

Actually some people have done some pretty nice interiors. I would suspect that cost, weight, effort and time are factors. Also two people in a RV-6 are very close together and the last thing I want to do is take more room away from myself. It may help dampen noise. But I have not reached that point in construction yet. Check this out though:

http://www.classicaerodesigns.com/

Not sure what I'll do when it comes to that point, but leaving it plain makes for really easy cleaning & maintenance. That coupled with the time and effort it takes, most people would rather be flying...

Interior?

Gary,

I would rather be flying.
The RVs are loud any way, so no need to try to deaden the sound. There are some good interiors being offered now so I think you will be seeing more finished out planes.
Here at RV Central we try to get our customers flying in a compressed time period . We recommend keeping it light and simple. Getting you in the air quicker and with less labor cost.
Some builders are not concerned with time. They build for the fun of it.
Come on over and take a look. Hicks has a good Restaurant/ Lunch

Last edited by a moderator:
Another dumb question....

Interesting.... most RV's that I have seen have upholstry in all areas (especially around the central cabin and I have only seen one that didn't. You Yanks need to get out more! :)

interiors

I think that by the time the builders get to the point of finishing the interior, they're so excited about flying the airplane, that the interior has to take a back seat to the flying. So, the interior never gets done, flying's more fun.
And the airplane has no conscience so it doesn't care, kind of like paint. Don't need paint to fly.
I'll do an interior in my RV10, but it'll be done a little at a time. Like in between trips.

Marshall
RV10 builder

It's like every other option on your airplane, some do and some don't. I've seen a mix of both. Some build light, simple, and fast because they want to fly instead of fabricate, and because their mission profile is fun flying with the guys.

I have always finished my interior because I don't mind the building, I like to fly in comfort, it helps deaden the sound and prevent oil canning, and I like to build an airplane with visual appeal. But that's just me.

I even put walnut trim in both my RV-6 and my Rocket. As far as extra weight, it's minimal at best. I saved a ton of weight by not wasting my time priming everything is sight! :D

interiors

Randy:
I think you & I are "on the same page".
It's all personal. After all, it is experimental.

Marshall

Back