What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wicks Service

ProCoach

Well Known Member
I placed an order with Wicks Aircraft last week and found out today (one week later) that they screwed up and haven't shipped it yet. Well, I was hot and asked for a manager. Janet (GM) got on the phone and apologized, agreed it is unacceptable, and stepped up to pay Red Label shipping so I'll have it tomorrow. Now that's customer service! I've always said, "It's not that a mistake was made, but how it is fixed that counts." Wicks and Janet handled it very nicely, so I thought I should share this. I'll definitely order from them again...

I'll definitely order from them again...

I think you will find Wicks to be one of the most reputable and reliable vendors in the business. I've gotten flawless service from them since 1992. Most likely your order was a rare glitch.

I'll vouch for Wicks as well. When I was looking for some fasteners for my electrical panel they not only helped me locate the exact (and hard to find) fasteners I was looking for, they asked for a sample from the company and then sent them to me free of charge. I only need 3 of these things which couldn't cost more than $.05 a piece, they sent me 6 and didn't charge. I commited to buying parts from them from that time on whenever possible.

I have been placing orders from both Wicks and AS&S for 8 years now building 2 Cozy MKIV's. I only order from AS&S when Wicks does not carry the product. Janet IS a real GEM! Dealings with AS&S are about as pleasant as going to the dentist for a root canal!

I've had my issues with AS in the past but I have to give them their due...

I ordered a cross-over exhaust from them for my RV-4. It took over a week to arrive at which point I installed it. I puttered around on some other things but when I went to mount my throttle cable bracket, the exhaust would not allow for any kind of bracket on the carburetor. I called AS and told them I'd like to return the exhaust because it was obviously not designed for my engine. They told me it was a special order item and they could not take it back. The rep was very polite and apologetic, I told her that was fine but let me talk to her manager because I wanted to explain why AS just lost a customer. I spoke with the manager who was very apologetic and said they would take the exhaust back but would charge a restocking fee because it had been more than 30 days. I reluctantly agreed because being $100 in the hole is better than $400 in the hole. Later that day I got a phone call from Jim Irwin who apologized profusely for the whole event, told me there would be no restocking fee, and they would refund my shipping as well.

This may have been an anomaly but AS did come through that time for me.

David Clifford said:
I have been placing orders from both Wicks and AS&S for 8 years now building 2 Cozy MKIV's. I only order from AS&S when Wicks does not carry the product. Janet IS a real GEM! Dealings with AS&S are about as pleasant as going to the dentist for a root canal!

I resemble that remark! You're just going to the wrong dentist! ;)

I strongly recommend Wicks. Janet has called me on occasion to get orders just right or explain any difficulties in getting orders out to me. Excellent service.

Regards,

Wicks vs. *** service

I'll pile on here.

I've probably been ordering airplane parts for twenty years, and have dealt with most if not all of the major vendors. Wicks has been flawless. Every single time. My only issue with them has been that they frequently don't have what I need, and their catalog isn't as good as it could be.

I loved Alexander aeroplane company before they were absorbed.

Spruce has, by far, the best catalog and selection, and usually the best prices. They have also been supportive of GA and experimental aviation over the years. I order from them when I need a lot of different wierd little things, and I'm not in a hurry. They have always been nice, but the majority of my orders have been messed up in some small way (wrong parts, slow shipping, over billing, etc.). Communication has been slow. I've gotten several e-mails from Jim Irwin, who always sets things right, and I usually reply pretty much like this e-mail.

Dealing with Spruce is like an amiable but slightly addled co-worker. I use them, but never for anything time-critical.

James Freeman

Wicks

I've been using Wicks before AC Spruce bought out Alexander in GA., now the south's AC arm. I've always had excellent service, excpet for the last recent order. they quickly rectified the error, and even went slightly overboard to please, which was not really necessary. Bottom line, they are still reputable and a nice place to do business with.
T88
RV10

I've had excellent service from Wicks as well. Often, if you need hardware which is not stocked, they will special order it for you, if you buy in quantity. While doing my fuel tanks, my RV guru suggested I use NAS1473-08 "fuel tank" nutplates in place of the K1000-08s that Vans supplies. He told me that all certified aircraft use these.
I checked into it. Wicks told me they could get them, for $4 each. However, if I ordered 100 (hardware typically is sold to the vendors in lots of 100) the price would drop to $2. So I organized a group buy, and got 100. I mentioned this part on the Matronics RV List. The end result was that demand convinced Wicks to stock this item. I think they charge $2.05 each. This is one of several ways to eliminate the weeping fuel tank access cover problem.
I've also had excellent service from ACS. On the few times they have made a mistake, they fixed it promptly & to my satisfaction.
Charlie Kuss

Wicks Rocks!

I started using Wicks because of the fule tank nutplates mentioned above. I have since purchased several items from them and plan to buy all hardware from them in the future. VERY fast shipping, friendly, helpful advice. This is an expensive hobby, but I always look forward to ordering from them!

Those nuplates are awesome too!!!! Not quite as much clearance when squeezing the rivets, but they are SWEET! I highly recommend using them.

ProCoach said:
"It's not that a mistake was made, but how it is fixed that counts."
You know, this is the bit of wisdom that SOMEBODY ...SOME DAY... has to start teaching in business school. It really is amazing how many businesses just don't grasp this concept. Or maybe it's just me. I've decided to stop ordering from Aircraft Spruce, for example, just because of how difficult it was to give them money at Oshkosh. Granted, their booth is the businest one at Oshkosh but I'd be standing there waving a credit card while folks who just walked up tot he counter got waited on. Finally I got to pay for my item and I didn't get a thank you and I thought, "you know, there are a better companies when it comes to customer service so what are you doing HERE?" (The short answer was Alumiprep and Wick's doesn't bring it to Oshkosh anymore).

It redoubled my resolve to give more business to the the Bob Averys, and the Cleaveland Tools, and the Mattitucks and the Flight Line Interiors of the world, who have a reputation for terrific sustomer service.

Mattituck, for example, is going to get $28,000 of my money someday almost exclusively based on the reports of how they treat people. And I'm sure other companies fit that category too.

But there's too many that don't.

Bob Collins said:
Or maybe it's just me. I've decided to stop ordering from Aircraft Spruce, for example, just because of how difficult it was to give them money at Oshkosh. Granted, their booth is the businest one at Oshkosh but I'd be standing there waving a credit card while folks who just walked up tot he counter got waited on. Finally I got to pay for my item and I didn't get a thank you and I thought, "you know, there are a better companies when it comes to customer service so what are you doing HERE?" (The short answer was Alumiprep and Wick's doesn't bring it to Oshkosh anymore).

Since, perhaps it's gang up on Aircraft Spruce time... :D

I'll put in my good word for the company. I've had excellent service from Aircraft Spruce, for at least 10 years now. Order on Sunday evening using their internet catalog, and it's usually here by Wed.

And BTW, Wicks has been great too!

L.Adamson RV6A

chaskuss said:
Wicks told me they could get them, for $4 each.
Wow, this is the first time I've heard of a nutplate that costs $4 each. What exactly is the characteristic that makes them so valuable? Do they make the coffee in the morning and rub your feet at night? :D

L.Adamson said:
Since, perhaps it's gang up on Aircraft Spruce time... :D
I'll put in my good word for the company. I've had excellent service from Aircraft Spruce, for at least 10 years now. Order on Sunday evening using their internet catalog, and it's usually here by Wed.
L.Adamson RV6A

Wow! That's slow. When I order from Spruce, if they have the parts in stock the Spruce East and I order before 3:00 I get it next day by shipping with Fedex ground. Shipping is usually 10 bucks or so. Of course, I'm only 70 miles away from there.

Let's see...that's 140 miles round trip at 20mpg in my Toyota x 2.69 US Gallon (what I paid today) = $18.83. Cheaper to ship than to drive there.

Bob Collins said:
Wow, this is the first time I've heard of a nutplate that costs $4 each. What exactly is the characteristic that makes them so valuable? Do they make the coffee in the morning and rub your feet at night? :D

Here's the link:
http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=2381/index.html

They eliminate the necessity to use sealant on the threads of the screws holding the tank access plate on. They are obviously sealed on the back via the dome, but also have a self-sealing ring on the base that prevents leaks there as well. The actual 'nut' part is free floating inside and wobbles a bit until the screw is in. Nifty little things. A bit pricey at $2, but you only need 24 of them on the whole plane and they essentially guarantee no leaks through the screw holes.

Check out the other Nutplates on Wicks, they have a great selection, including pre-dimpled nutplates. (I just use a squeezer to dimple mine, but hey, that's just me.)

Not worth the trouble.

vmirv8bldr said:
They eliminate the necessity to use sealant on the threads of the screws holding the tank access plate on.

My 20 years of working on, building and flying RV's has taught me that if you install the tank access covers with just the cork gaskets it is not a question of if you will develope a leak... it is a question of when. Using a liberal application of fuel lube makes it go a little longer but it will still eventually leak.

All of the builders that I know of, that promote this practice have only been flying for a year or so and have not had theres leak yet...it is only a mtter of time.

The most sure way to prevent leaks is to pitch the gaskets and install the cover with tank sealant. As long as you leave a 1/32" gap between the tank rib and the cover when you tighten the screws, it is very easy to remove the cover if you ever have a reason too.

Put me down for saving the $50 and using it for something else.

Bob Collins said:
You know, this is the bit of wisdom that SOMEBODY ...SOME DAY... has to start teaching in business school.
This is not exactly an unknown concept in business schools. The subject of "service recovery" has been taught for almost two decades now. One of my B-school textbooks, "Service Breakthroughs: Changing the Rules of the Game", by James Heskett, Earl Sasser, and Christopher Hart, (c) 1990, has 13 references to this subject...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/phrase/ref=sip_bod_10/104-6039337-2631930?ie=UTF8&src=0029146755&checkSum=Zep3ry%2FI8HKgSBmDsCjPdqH3AVG6FISIbPMPKKJG%2Fss%3D&phrase=service%20recovery

Check it out if you're interested.

Back