What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Injection vs Carburated

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Fellow builders,

I recently had a conversation with the gents over at Superior Air Parts about their engine pricing. I noticed the price for an XP I0-360 XXX was only $300 higher then the price for the XP O-360 XXX :D . I thought this was a bit unusual. Last time I had checked a fuel injected (Precision Airmotive Silver Hawk XP) engine costs over $1000 more then a carburator (Precision Airmotive MSA) engine.

According to Superior, the carburators have increased in cost due to product liability.

Interesting info

Build on....................

Paul

Not sure, what does it mean

No doubt manufactures have to rise prices to cover their overhead, in part one cost being defending against lawsuites.

If you buy an experimental fuel injection outright its about $3,000.00. A Carb outright new...... I don't have a new Carb price, but an outright overhauled is about $2,300.00.

Now, why is a FI engine only $300 more than a Carb when you buy it new with the engine? I don't know.

I have seen rebuilt prices for Carbs go up $300-$400 or so in the last 5 years. So I can see why the FI/Carb price differential has gone down, but why have FI not increased the same? WHY?

Are Carbs are a bigger liability, presumably because they are less reliable or more subject to failure than FI? FI is just as much a liability to the manufacture IMHO. So why are FI prices not going up? I think there are a few reasons.

May be there are just more Carbs out there? Since Carbs are certified and there is only one source for them, Precision Airmotive, all Carbs are lumped together wheather it goes on an experimental or certified plane. So you are paying certified prices for a Carb. You have no choice. On the other hand there are "experimental" FI systems, so may be FI does not carry the liability legacy of all the certified FI systems that have come before?

There's only one maker of Carb's, but we can buy two differnet experimental FI systems (three when ECI comes out with there own). So competition may keep price down. The only substitute to a Certified Carb that is not FI is an Ellison throttle body, which cost $1,649.00.

Are Carb's less reliable or more subject to failure than FI? Carb's are dirt simple, elegant really, and they don't rely on high pressure pumps, small holes and diaphragms. Both FI and Carb's have their Achilles heal. I'm not sure either one is a bigger risk to the manufacture. I bet if you put a "Certified" fuel injection system on it would cost a lot more.

Frankly I would not consider a business in aviation parts, airframes, engines and accessories. Selling flight critical components of any kind is a huge liability. People will sue you because they ran out of fuel, even though it was their own fault. :eek: Darn

Keep in mind when you buy that FI engine that is just $300 more, you need an expensive pump (electric/mech) to drive the fuel injection; Van's electric pump/filter "kit" is about $600.00. Still the choice to go FI or Carb is going more towards FI for new engine buyers. I have a Carb an love it, but with fuel prices going up the FI advantage is even more appealing than ever.

Last edited:
Back