What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 396 496 running autopilot

sneedrv-6

Well Known Member
I have a trutrak pictorial pilot and a garmin 496 feeding it the nema. Before I had the 496 I had a 396 with the same problem.

Everything works great except while the AP is in NAV mode if I scroll the map on the gps it will disconnect the nav mode and go into heading mode. Sometimes it does this without even messing with the GPS. I think that the gps processor is just getting overwhelmed and it stops the NEMA data for a second which disconnects the NAV mode on the AP. Does anyone have a Garmin 296 396 or 496 working correctly with a trutrak autopilot? Could I have a EMI problem? Any help would be great!

Thanks a bunch,

Jason Sneed

www.highland-parks.com/n242ds

I see the same symptom, as well as other symptoms. Sometimes when the screen on the 396/496 refreshes, there appear to be momentary interruptions in serial output. I've been reporting these issues to Garmin, and they are working on 'em.

I've also seen the same thing. I thought I was loosing my marbles, but no, I still have them.......

TT DF200VS
Garmin 396

update

Guys,

I spoke with John today at trutrak... He said this is a know issue and I need to send in my autopilot to have a chip replaced (update firmware). I will post here when I get the AP back and let you know if it is fixed. Even if this does not fix the problem it seems to me that trutrak would be able to tell the AP to not drop out of NAV mode unless the nema stops for some longer period of time.

We shall see...

Jason

I sent my Pictorial Pilot in to TruTrak for the update. It came back with a longer shaft (which is great, since it can now be used with a Nulite ring), but other than that, absolutely no difference that I can detect.

update

Dan,

Spoke with John again, I asked about changing the code on the AP to allow for 5 seconds or so with no NEMA before it pops out of NAV mode. We will see what happens, I encourage anyone with a 396 or 496 to let trutrak know there is a problem. John is the person I have been working with.

Thanks,

Jason Sneed

I also tried to get Garmin to do something but I had no luck.

"Fast" rate?

Maybe a stupid question, but does this happen with the serial output in the "Fast" mode? I'm not even sure the "fast" mode puts out enough information to drive the autopilot.

Another question on the serial input/output. I can't find any reference in the manual concerning fuel input. It looks like it will output data to a fuel totalizer, though. Is that correct?

Thanks.

As far as I know the fuel totalizer does not interface with any other device. I have tried every setting on the interface page (advanced options) with no luck.

Jason

Back