What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion on 2024 Alclad

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Hey all-
PRIMER WAR!!!! :D First off, I admit, I am an avid fan of priming all metal parts of an airplane with the best green epoxy primer out there, AK** :D... I'm very very thankful for my past aircraft maintaince experience and the research I did before beginning my personal project. My wing kit was delivered September of 2012 (less then a year ago) and has been stored in a fairly climate controled storage room (I'm in atlanta GA). I'm working on the control surfaces at the present time & was match drilling my aileron stiffeners & skin when I noticed that the skin was corroding around the perimeter. Easily fixed at this point but my point is that the 2024 aluminum sheets DO CORRODE VERY easily / quickly and starts at the edges and anywhere the pure aluminum layer is broken by deburring and or slight scratching... Lesson, build fast, prime everything, spot prime deburred holes & paint before flying :eek:

I know there are alot of differing oppinions on this topic but had to vent and say all of my efforts / additional time spent prepping & priming ~ This is not in vain!!!!

Back