What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OK, Someone had to ask it: Anyone thought about FLOATS on an RV-10?

jrdalton

I've seen photos of the RV-6. There are also plenty of examples of low-wing planes with floats (one of the Cherokee PA28's was designated with floats).

When I was choosing a kit I almost went with the Murphy Moose because I thought the floats would be very handy (we live on a lake). Of course, my first mission priority was SPEED and Loading. I wanted 200MPH plus at least 1200lbs useful load. So the Moose was obviously out - as was any other float plane.

Now I'm building a -10. And that thought keeps nagging me . . .what if?

Any thoughts?

Big bucks

jrdalton said:
Now I'm building a -10. And that thought (floats) keeps nagging me . . .what if? Any thoughts?
I agree with PJ, forget 200 mph, not even the 300 HP seawind can muster those speeds.
sseaw.jpg

If you are thinking straight floats and not amphib's I am sure some Aerosets would be nice.

http://www.aerocet.com/mambo/

You'll need some hard points to mount and lots of tube. Big bucks but if that turns you on, go for it.

A C-180 lists 141 kts no floats, 123 kt, about 18 kts. The Aerosets are suppose to be cleaner and give up less speed, but count on 10-12 kts (more)? If Van lists 260HP cruise @ 55%/75% pwr as 180/201 mph. So you would cruise 168/188 mph.

The added weight would be about 450 lbs. Again the C-180 wheel v. floats has a empty of 1700 lbs v. 2100 lbs (400 lbs). They raise the float version gross only 150 lbs to 2,950 lbs.

Cost? I see $33,500 / $70,000 for straights/amphib's with hardware. You will have to make your own struts and wires, plus the hard points. A friend has a amphib C-180. It flipped and sunk once. :eek: He was flying and dropped down to do a splash and go with me in the right seat. If you are a "Landlubber" like me, your mind panics when landing on water for the first time. You know its OK but in the back of your mind it screams NOT GOOD. :eek: You don't usually see jet skies and sail boats landing on runway 16R. The float pilots tell me a low wing can be a pain near the docks.

Last edited:
JR, now that would be really cool. I bet it could probably be done.

What lake are you on? I just got back from Rangeley, Maine (M57) and did some recurrent training in the 172 and 180 they have there.

P8140041.JPG

P8150060.JPG

I would like to see someone do the -10 on floats!

Maybe you should!?!? I would LOVE to fly it!!!

:D CJ

It's a nice, fast, cross-country traveler, why turn it into something it's not. You may as well put tundra tires on it and fly off of gravel bars. :)

Back