What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Move to Ft. Worth?

garrett

Hey, all you Texans -

I'm contemplating a possible move out to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and need some advice.

- What's the hangar situation out there, in terms of (a) how long it would take to find a hangar, and (b) how much it would cost? I know that both Hicks and Northwest Regional are in the area, and they're both hubs of RV activity, so to speak, but I'm just not sure if they're particularly full hubs or really expensive hubs.

- What's the job market out there for IT folks? Odds are that there are at least a few RVers that out there that are geeks like me, and would have some impressions of what the job market is like out there.

Thanks a bunch!

- garrett

Hangar Costs

garrett said:
Hey, all you Texans -

I'm contemplating a possible move out to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and need some advice.

- What's the hangar situation out there, in terms of (a) how long it would take to find a hangar, and (b) how much it would cost?
I'm on the N side of Dallas, so I can't speak to what's going on in Cowtown ... ;)

However, here's what I do know:
RBD - Hangars available now, no wait, $250/mo. Ambassador Aviation
ADS - Long wait list. $300+
GPM - Nice small airport, lots of new hangars being completed. Covered tiedowns $110, hangars $200+.

Howdy, Pardner!!! (get used to it <g>)

There is room at NW Regional (a little). I rent a corner of a hangar for $200/mo. No water.

As for the I.T. aspect...it's what I do (and all my friends). Fwd me your resume and I'll channel it up to the boss (also a RV owner).

B,
D

garrett said:
snip.....- What's the hangar situation out there, in terms of (a) how long it would take to find a hangar, and (b) how much it would cost? I know that both Hicks and Northwest Regional are in the area, and they're both hubs of RV activity, so to speak, but I'm just not sure if they're particularly full hubs or really expensive hubs.

- What's the job market out there for IT folks? Odds are that there are at least a few RVers that out there that are geeks like me, and would have some impressions of what the job market is like out there.

Thanks a bunch!

- garrett

DTO (Denton) about $200/mo for a T-Hangar. I've been on the list for six months - they estimate 1 year wait.

What kind of job are you looking for?

IT Jobs, Hangar Space

Hmmm . . .

Doug, I'll shoot you a resume sometime tonight or tomorrow. Sounds like there are at least some hangar spaces (and possibly jobs) avaliable somewhere, which seems great. Ideally I'd like to be at NW Regional (for the hangar, not the job), but if this move takes place I suspect I'll have a bit of time still building before that happens . . . or be building in a hangar. We'll see.

Matt - I've been an IT weenie ever since graduating college (BS in Comp Sci, U of A in Huntsville) 4 years ago, and most of my work then has been in system admin sort of stuff for unix (most recently BSD) servers. I do Macs, Windows (some) and have just started working on various Cisco certifications just to keep things from getting boring.

So . . . I'm looking for whatever job that qualifies me for, I suppose.

- garrett

garrett said:
Hey, all you Texans -

- What's the hangar situation out there, in terms of (a) how long it would take to find a hangar, and (b) how much it would cost? I know that both Hicks and Northwest Regional are in the area, and they're both hubs of RV activity, so to speak, but I'm just not sure if they're particularly full hubs or really expensive hubs.

On the south side, Spinks, Arlington and Grand Prairie are all building hangars. Rents range from $175 /mo to around $250, often including electricity. There used to be a 4 year wait at GKY, 2 years at FWS and 3 years at GPM, don't know what that will be like with 100+ new hangars available.

Pete

My wife the recruiter

She places all sorts of IT types from entry level to CIO types. Send her a resume and a note identifying yourself as an RV guy.

Her info:
[email protected]

Good luck!

We have two hangars available at Freedom Field (7T0). We are about three miles south of the Gainesville airport (GLE) Gainesville is about an hours dirve north of the metro mess (Dallas / Fort Worth) on I-35. Freedom Field is a privately owned public use airport. We have 2400 feet of smooth sod with clear approaches on each end. The hangars are 30 x 40 feet and 30 x 45 feet. Each one has water and electricity, so there is plenty of room for airplanes, cars etc. The rent is $115.00 and $135.00 respectively for the hangars. I live on the field and fly my RV-8 out of it regularly. Tom

Back