What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 impression

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...this post was originally put up in the 10 yahoo group by "billchill5" <son at hoangs.com>. It was such a nice posting I took the liberty of duplicating it here so those not in that group could enjoy it also. dr

I went to Aurora, OR to visit the Vans factory and test flew the RV10 (N410RV) last week. I did this on purpose so I would have the opportunity to really check out the plane instead of test flying it in the chaotic environment of an air show

I was very impressed with the smoothness of the IO540 6 cylinders engine and the blended airfoil 2 blade prop
Gus (company pilot) and I carried out a conversation without the headset when the engine was at idle ...we did not have to raise our voice...how nice we did not use the noise canceling headset (Vans' standard issue !!) ...no problem...
even with minimal insulation (i.e.. none) the plane noticeably lacked the vibration that I was accustomed to in many RVs that I had the opportunity to fly in....it must be the 6 cylinders engine

410RV climbed out at about 1700 fpm @ 140 mph with Gus (company pilot - tall and probably about 175 lbs) and I (150 lbs) with the tanks more than half full at 3500 ft as soon as I leveled the plane with 24 in. and 2500 rpm it accelerated to about 185-190 mph indicated..Gus commented that 410RV is as fast or even faster than (the) 200 hp RV7...and based on my brief experience I believe him....I was too busy to take note of more performance numbers but this plane was fast and powerful

stalls and slow flight are straight forward and benign just like an RV9...controls are heavier than the 6A that I normally fly..that's by design..these 10's really are meant for cross country and certainly suitable for everyday IFR flying ...the flare to landing required almost full aft stick (Gus even put some ballast in the baggage area) ...it was nose heavy......

Rob Butt (factory tech counselor) took me for a tour of the factory (I did this same tour 2 years ago before I built the 6A).. the company now employs about 70 people and I believe Rob told me it is now 30 % owned by employees (I like that ownership concept)

what impressed me most was the improvement in the kit and the manual and construction instructions...I used to envy the Lanceair guys for the quality of their construction manuals....well envy no more...... Vans finally catch up to the 21st century with the RV10 construction manuals

you no longer have to do the wing incident angle...the alignment holes are prepunched resulting in much more accurate measurement and much time saving..the tail/fuselage fairings fit much much better...the intersection fairings between the fuselage and the gear are now included in the kit...the standard instrument panel comes in 3 sections so installation and servicing radios will be easy etc. etc. etc.

you do not have to make reservation for the factory tour or the demo flight....just show up during working hours and request one for the demo flight on the RV10 a $50 fee is charged ...it is credited back when you buy the kit

I paid the $50 in cash....as much as I was in love with the plane

I did not order a kit ....I was disciplined I did not want to buy on impulse..there needs to be a cooling off period.....

well the 3 days cooling off period was over.... I ordered an RV10 tail kit last Monday 3/21/05...it is scheduled to (be) deliver to my hangar at WHP next Wed 03/30/05

I am now a repeat offender (enjoying a 3% discount off the airframe cost)

Son
N64SH -flying 6A

Back