What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS 4000

RV9798

Well Known Member
Is there a short cut to get out of the programming mode once the parameters are changed. I have to scroll through the whole program to exit.

Is there a support group for the EIS 4000. I find the users manual very hard to use. too technical....need to be more users friendly.

Pete :confused:

faster

Try pushing and holding the button that toggles to the next parameter. That will cause the device to very rapidly zip through all of the parameters, only takes a second or two. Then cycle power to the unit(I installed a dedicated breaker/switch) and you're there.

How do you like your EIS?

Scott Will said:
You can try the GRT EFIS yahoo group.

You're right it's not the most user friendly and so far I haven't found a way to exit the setup pages without going to the end.

Are you happy with your EIS? So far it looks that it's just a learning curve. The price is right anyway. and I think the leaning page is great...

Pete

I've been flying with one for a year.
Good points:
Cheap
Light
Takes up little panel space
Good customer support
Not so good points:
Setup is a pain. I spent a few nights getting all the parameters set.
Lots of scrolling through pages while flying to check various parameters (thats the price you pay for the little panel space)

Would I do it again? Yes! I would probably make provisions for analog MP and RPM gages also. I don't like chasing digital numbers.

Doug

The EIS setup is not very intuitive.
I still have some features that are non-operational.
I found that I set up my alarms too tight and have to page through several screens to get to my intended screen by paging through to acknowledge the alarms.

Also, when setting up your panel, make sure you place the EIS below your radio stack. The EIS module is only a few inches deep where as the radio stack is about 10". I can't get to the EIS plug from under the panel because the radio stack is in the way. My bad.

The EIS4000 was inexpensive but today, I'd go with the dynon EMS to match my EFIS. I'd like to get a quick visual on my engine instruments vs paging through screens.

Some suggestions

RV9798 said:
Is there a short cut to get out of the programming mode once the parameters are changed. I have to scroll through the whole program to exit.

Is there a support group for the EIS 4000. I find the users manual very hard to use. too technical....need to be more users friendly.

Pete :confused:
It is not that bad, but suggest you put it on paper first. Write it all out and that will help you. If you want to play with the way the display looks this builder has a cool tool on his web site for configuration http://www.my9a.com/eis/

Here are some of my settings for a O-360. Don't just use as is without considering your installation and configuration.

EIS SET USER DEFINABLE CONFIGURATION Pages - HOLD "Previous" & "Display" together until screen shows UP DOWN NEXT (see manual Table 4.1) (section 7)

aux1 MP"
aux2 Ltnk
aux3 Rtnk
aux4 FP
aux5 Amps
aux6 N/U

units FG

FCI 0
FC2 0

FlowCal 200
TachP/R 1
Peak 10
Max Fuel 42.0
Hrs 0.0
Tim-RPM 1800
AspdLo 0
AdpdHi 0
TachLo 2200
TackHi 2600

1SF 139
1OFF 84
2SF 11
2OFF 0
3SF 11
3OFF 0
4SF 250
4OFF 47
5SF 93
5OFF 177
6SF 0
6OFF 0

(Set user displays. This is where you customize the pages as you like to see them. This takes up to 66! entries. Entries not used are left blank. There are three pages, Combo 1, Combo 2 and Graphical. The Combo pages have up to 12 data points available. You will probably only have room for 9 or 10 items per page max. There are two lines of 16 spaces for data use, punctuation and spaces. For each data point you have a Data-label and Position, for example: 1D1, 1P1; 1D2, 1P2........1D12, 1P12.
Writing it down first is important. Combo 2 page will be entered similarly as Combo 1 and the labels start with the number 2. They can be different so Combo 1 and 2 are unique. The third user definable page is the Graphical page and is entered the same except you have 9 positions available. The label starts with "GD" or "GP" for the respective 9 Data and Position entries, like the Combo pages. The spaces 1 through 8 for the bar graph which is a fixed item on the graphical page. You have to understand how many spaces each data item needs. You also have to set each AUX item as either Integer or decimal. A decimal data point will take 4 places. Integer only 3 places. This affects how many letter you can use for the label, 3 or 4 letters. See table 7.14.2)

I/D DDDDDI
+/- ++++++
AltCor 0

DISABLE-PG# 5
DISABLE-PG# 7
DISABLE-PG# 8
DISABLE-PG# 9
DISABLE-PG# 11
DISABLE-PG# 12
DISABLE-PG# 13
DISABLE-PG# OFF

EIS LIMITS - HOLD "NEXT/ALT & PREV (section 4)

Cont 2 or 3
Back_Light (as desired)
ALT -- (set Baro if you have altimeter function)
FUEL 42
MAXTIME 210
INTERVAL 30
MAXFLOW 18
MAXOLIPRESS 98
MINOILPRESS 20
MINCRZ-OP 75
MAXOILTEMP 220
MINOILTEMP 165
MAXRPM 2750
MINRPM 850
MINFUEL 4.5
MAXAUX1(MP) 31.85
MINAUX1(MP) 4
MAXAUX2(FL) 21
MINAUX2(FL) 3
MAXUAX3(FR) 21
MINAUX3(FR) 3
MAXUAX4(FP) 8
MINAUX4(FP) 0.8
MAXAUX6(AMP) 40
MINAUX6(AMP) 0

H2O N/A
MAXVOLT 14.6
MINVOLT 12.6
MAXCARB 50
MINCARB 14
MAXEGT 1500
MINEGT 800
MINLIM-RPM 1775
MAXEGTSPAN 35
MAXEGTINC 0
MAXEGTDEC 0
MAXCRATE 50
MAXCHT 410
MINCHT 200
DISPLAY 1

You entries may be different depending on your AUX probes, what probes you have and what number (1 thru 6) it is wired to. I have: Manifold P; Fuel L; Fuel R; Fuel P; Amps and the 6th position not used. I also have the FF option. Scale factors and Off sets are usually found on the probe or sensor.

Last edited:
Back